Thanks once again to our host Larry D. at Acts of the Apostasy, who has his own entertainment post up today.
At CatholicMom.com, I have a post up for November about how to get along at holiday parties, even if people bring up the topic of homeschooling. Apparently I hit a chord, because I’ve gotten some good feedback. Mostly from non-homeschoolers. Also, it was a great excuse to use this photo:
It would be convenient if I had married a guy who liked to take pictures of homeschoolers, and CCD classes, and stuff like that. (Um, except, we’re not allowed to publish photos of CCD kids, so I guess it would just be some adult teaching and a bunch of blurred-out backs of heads.) Instead every month I amuse Lisa Hendey with my proposed alternate illustration for the homeschooling column. So far she hasn’t rejected any. Patient lady.
Sunday night I helped out in a colleague’s CCD class by dressing up like this venerable creole candidate for sainthood:
I own absolutely nothing that could be described at mid-19th century clothing, but the 6th graders were very polite, and overlooked the fact that my costume was really more like Faux-Edwardian-Pulled-From-late-20th-Century-Closet. Also, I learned a surprising number of the kids had some knowledge of the French language. I’d estimate 2/5ths of the class.
Heartening: 95% of the class had no difficulty with coming to Ven. Henriette’s same conclusion, that having a wife in the countryside and a mistress in the city was not the Catholic way. Good for them. The other 5% just weren’t paying attention, but once they heard what I had said, they too, agreed. I guess it’s easier in 6th grade, when who wants a girlfriend anyway?
Eldest daughter and I have recently gotten hooked on The Groaning Lady Show. So-called by the guys in our household. Who always come and watch it.
St. Monica, of course. In other homeschooling news:
a) We’ve completed Q1 with varying amounts of success, and are jumping into Q2 today with varying amounts of enthusiasm.
b) I tried to vote mid-morning, but estimated the line was about an hour long, not so fun for young children, particularly the one with a nasty scrape on her hand from tripping on the walk down the block, plus an un-fun headcold. We retreated, charged the iPods, and will give it another shot after lunch with entertainment in hand. Most years there isn’t much of a line, but apparently people are a touch worked up about this election. Go figure.
Well, that’s all for this week. Tuesday’s Link Day, which is when instead of e-mailing fun things I ought to post but forget to, you just tell the world all by yourself. Entirely optional. I’m pretty swamped with real life but I’ll try to post updates here as I work through my to-do list elsewhere on the internet. Have a great week.